- I will be including your wonderful books in the preschool program this year.~ Tracey A. - Preschool Teacher, London
- These are perfect for kids who are not really ready for full books yet. I love the pictures--I like that they are simple but engaging. A lot of CVC books that we have at school are all black and white, which is okay, but color pictures are more enticing. I also think parents will like them because they are not boring. They are funny!~ Erica D. - Teacher, Pre-K (Reception), London
Browse the Series of Short Vowel Shorts!
Short Vowel Shorts is a series of five phonics books for kids that can help them gain confidence as they learn how to read. The books are designed to be an engaging compliment to word family or phonics worksheets and other reading activities. They don’t contain any sight words, so children who know all their letter sounds but haven’t learned sight words yet can decode and read them, initially with help from a parent or teacher, and then by themselves.
Each story contains only one short vowel sound, so children are only deciphering one vowel sound for the whole story rather than a mix of multiple vowel sounds.
The aim of Short Vowel Shorts is to provide parents and teachers with an option for a phonics step between single letter sounds/word families and short stories that contain sight words and a mix of multiple vowel sounds. Hopefully, being in an illustrated story format, Short Vowel Shorts can be an engaging supplement to word families that will have children gaining skills, confidence, and enjoyment as readers, and saying: “Can I Read-It-On-My-Own?” and then: “I just Read-It-On-My-Own!”
- By Tate Johnston on October 9, 2013
You may have heard the quandary: How do you eat an elephant? And it’s answer: One bite at a...
- By Tate Johnston on September 17, 2013
“Some children might not be ready for as big a jump from letter sounds to reading words and sentences...
- By Tate Johnston on August 6, 2013
Trying to Climb Up the Down Escalator In their excellent book, Switch: How to Change When Change is Hard...